Tajikistan visitors leave MT with new agricultural expertise | KXLH.com | Helena, Montana

Posted: May 28, 2012 in Economy and Resources, Environment, Geography, Health

A group of agricultural specialists from Tajikistan in Central Asia left Montana on Saturday after spending a week learning about Montana ag operations.

The specialists traveled halfway around the world to learn how to diversify their crops and how technology can help in that effort.

Tajikistan is just north of Afghanistan; it’s 93% mountainous, leaving just 7% of the land available for farming.

With little arable land, Tajikistan relies heavily on water-thirsty cotton crops.

According to the Great Falls Advisory Commission on International Relations, out-of-date agricultural techniques, improper irrigation, and a lack of agricultural diversity threatens the area’s economy and soil.

During the group’s visit, they got a tour of the Big Stone Hutterite colony near Sand Coulee, where they learned how a cow merry-go-round makes milking more efficient as well as how eggs are produced.

Muhiddin Sharipov of the Tajikistan Agriculture Information Service said, “We saw a lot of technologies are used in farming system here in this area.”

via Tajikistan visitors leave MT with new agricultural expertise | KXLH.com | Helena, Montana.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s